“Need You Tonight” — INXS
So slide over here
And give me a moment
Your moves are so raw
I’ve got to let you know…
You’re one of my kind
Here’s the thing: I feel like the best, most magical aspect of music is its innate ability to communicate an emotion, a feeling, a mood. Need a pick-me-up? Well, you can always call on Phish‘s “Bouncing Around the Room” to gift you a lift. Need to chillax? Okay – spend some time with Erykah Badu or Jill Scott. Mad at the world and feel like indulging that emotion? I find Fiona Apple‘s music to be an excellent choice on just that sort of occasion.
But this song? Well, this is a *letsseehowfastwecangetouttatheseclothes* song. And that’s always fun.
Seriously, I can’t understand how anyone could listen to this without getting turned on. And of course, this isn’t the only song for provocative underwear dancing–not that I’m into that type of thing…but, you know what I mean (zip those lips HI-FI Andrew!). I would guess a lot of other folks (myself included), respond in a similar way to songs like “Come Undone” by Duran Duran and “Wicked Game” by Chris Isaak. Even still, “Need You Tonight” is really where the money is – I kind of think of it as the definitive naughty thoughts song.
Come on – that guitar riff? Damn. It just sounds like sex. How the heck did they do that? Add in those suggestive lyrics and Michael Hutchence‘s delicious vocals, you’ve got the song that has been touted as “the three steamiest minutes of the eighties.”
Uh, hell-to-the-yes they were – and I think all the more so because the lyrics are not explicit at all. Suggestive, yes – but it’s what *isn’t* said in this song that makes it so intoxicating.
It’s also what makes current pop songs that *try* to be sexy fail so miserably at it. You don’t need to say it all to awaken sexual feelings in a listener – in fact, being too crude or explicit can have a very opposite effect. Case in point: when I hear Nicki Minaj sing (and I’m using that term loosely) “when he gimme that look then the panties comin’ off”, it just makes me want to puke. It most certainly does not turn me on, because there’s something so base about it that it literally makes me cringe.
Now these lyrics, on the other hand, are a completely different story:
I need you tonight
Cause I’m not sleeping
There’s something about you girl
That makes me sweat
Um…WHOA. Are you freaking kidding me?
How do you feel?
What do you think?
Can’t think at all
Yeah, me neither. I certainly can’t concentrate on writing anything else.
So if you all will excuse me, I think I’m gonna go take a cold shower…
- The Horrible Crowes cover INXS (theantilaugh.wordpress.com)
- Ciaran Gribbin: Castledawson man new singer for INXS (louconvery.wordpress.com)
- Old School Sunday (circlelation.wordpress.com)
- Immortal (sinisterechoes.com)
- INXS Releases New Single “Tiny Summer” (jackontheweb.radio.com)
- “all the dreams and promises/that we give/we give away…”-inxs (kick) (freakoutville.wordpress.com)
- FABTV: INXS “Need You Tonight/Mediate” (fabsugar.com)
- INXS announce new frontman (muzicmagazine.com)
- INXS find a fourth lead singer (guardian.co.uk)
- Five reasons to see Duran Duran at Hard Rock Live in Hollywood (pbpulse.com)
- INXS Fire Singer J.D. Fortune for the Second Time (spinner.com)
- Rain blows out amps, cancels INXS show in Pa. (pbpulse.com)
- Amps Blown Out At INXS, End Of The Show? Sort Of… (radio923fm.radio.com)
- The Sad, Strange Saga of J.D. Fortune Continues (popdose.com)
- Rain Blows out Amps, Cancels INXS Show in Pa. (abcnews.go.com)
Posted on 10/12/2011, in Favorite Things, Human Behavior, Lyrical Madness, That's Hot and tagged 80s, Bouncing Around the Room, Chris Isaak, cold shower, Come Undone, Duran Duran, eighties, Erykah Badu, Fiona Apple, INXS, Jill Scott, Michael Hutchence, music, naughty, Need You Tonight, Nicki Minaj, Phish, pop, provocative underwear dancing, sex, sexuality, Wicked Game. Bookmark the permalink. 5 Comments.